Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Crispy Prosciutto Cups with Pear

The holiday season is here! It is time to think about tasty things I want to make. I came across this recipe at Martha Stewart's website; it is easy to make and sounds so tasty. An unusual combination of smoky and salty prosciutto with sweet pear...yum! I really like the idea of crisping prosciutto and making it into a cup. This appetizer recipe is on the top of my list for this season :)

I made this appetizer for New Year's Eve. Instead of the Bartlett pear from the original recipe I used Red pear (very similar in taste); in addition to lemon juice I used some maple syrup and a sprinkle of poppy flower seeds. Even though making the prosciutto cups was challenging, this appetizer turned out really delicious. I would recommend to use more meaty pieces of prosciutto to form the cups. The ones that had fat strings kind of bubbled up and were difficult to fill with diced pear. I also baked it for 10 minutes instead of 15 as they started getting brown very fast and I didn't want them to burn.

Here is the original recipe from Martha Stewart's website; below my version of it. Hope you like it!

Ingredients:

  • Prosciutto, thinly sliced
  • 1 ripe Red pear, finely diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
  • Sprinkle of poppy flower seed
Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cut prosciutto into 24 two-inch squares.
Place one square (overlapping any tears) in each cup of a mini cupcake tin.
Bake until fat turnes golden, about 10 to 12 minutes. Using a fork, immediately transfer to a paper towel to drain; cool completely.
In a small bowl, combine diced pear and lemon juice, maple syrup or honey and poppy seeds. Fill each cup with pear mixture just before serving.  

No comments:

Post a Comment