Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Mandala Art

I created this mandala for a gift and was very pleased with the result. According to Wikipedia Mandala is a sanskrit word that means 'circle'. To read more about Mandalas click here

Typically Mandalas are created by using a basic geometric pattern. Using a pencil divide your canvas into concentric circles with the center in the middle. 

After you're done you can start drawing the contours using darker pensil or marker (anything in darker tones will work depending on your vision; I used black marker). Start in the center and draw objects one after the other filling the concentric circles evenly from each angle (you can draw anything you want). I went with very simple flowerish/ raindrop elements. 

Then when the contours are done and the pattern is ready, erase your pencil lines and start coloring. I filled in my mandala with crayons (coloring mandala is a lot of fun!). 

I hope you liked this project, its very creative and a great activity to do with you kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment